View Single Post
Old
05-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Rob Scuderi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Goaltending:

In terms of "units" on the ice, the clearest advantage that emerges in this series in a head-to-head comparison is in goal, where Georges Vezina is far ahead of Chuck Rayner. It is fairly well established by now that Vezina was the greatest goalie of his generation. In spite of Clint Benedict's better GAA numbers playing behind the Ottawa defense, there are at this point a large number of contemporary articles (including many from before his death) describing Vezina as the greatest goalie of his era. Too many to be ignored. There may not have been a big gap between Vezina and Benedict, but there seems to have been a clear enough gap between them that Vezina was considered almost unanimously better.

Chuck Rayner was a very good goalie in his own right. At 32 teams, there simply aren't any sorry goalies. Nevertheless, Rayner is at best the fourth best goalie of his era, behind Brimsek, Durnan and Broda, and quite possibly the 5th best, depending on how one views Harry Lumley. He's essentially a "hall of very good" player, unlikely to cost his team a game or series by screwing up, but almost certain not to steal one, either.

Georges Vezina is good enough to steal you a game, to pitch a shutout or deflate the opponent with a show-stopping save at a crucial moment. In a matchup as tight as this one looks to be among the skaters, the difference in goal here looms large. Georges Vezina could easily end up being the most valuable player of this series.
I like Vezina a lot so I don't have much to add. Rayner is in the Hall of Fame, I'm of the opinion he was better than Lumley and so was Dink Carroll. I'm hoping his puckhandling abilities will provide some value in this series with Montreal's forechecking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Montreal Gazette (Dink Carroll) - 4/11/1950
Chuck Rayner and Harry Lumley are two of the greatest goalers in the game today and there may be little to choose between them. But what little there is may rest with Rayner. Charlie never cracks wide-open and Lumley sometimes does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
A superb skater, it was not unusual to see him carrying the puck down the ice… It wasn't until Jacques Plante starred with Montreal a decade later that other goalkeepers exhibited strong puckhandling and playmaking skills.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordie Howe
“When you threw it in the corner, he would just go out and get the puck. He really forced us to change the way we came into the zone. No one other than Jacques Plante later on was doing that.”

Last edited by Rob Scuderi: 05-19-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote