View Single Post
Old
05-19-2013, 05:52 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
I think Kapustin's offense is impressive and he apparently could work the boards, but is his offense that much better than Larmer's?
Yes, it probably is. Steve Larmer is a glue guy, and he scores like...a glue guy. A good one, but still, he's not going to be mistaken for a primary scorer anytime soon. Here's where Larmer falls in VsX among RWs:

28 Hooley Smith 78.8
29 Cecil Dillon 78.4
30 Alexander Mogilny 78.1
31 Bobby Bauer 76.2
32 Bobby Rousseau 76
33 Alex Kovalev 75.8
34 Lanny McDonald 74.6
35 Dit Clapper # 74.1
36 Rick Middleton 74
37 Milan Hejduk 73.8
38 Yvan Cournoyer 73.6
39 Tony Amonte 73.3
40 Tod Sloan 72.8
41 Larry Aurie 72.7
42 Peter Bondra 72.5
43 Eddie Wiseman 72.1
44 Steve Larmer 72.1
45 Glenn Anderson 71.9
46 Joe Mullen 71.4
47 Johnny Gagnon 71
48 Ed Litzenberger 70.8
49 Kenny Wharram 70.6
50 Dave Taylor 70.4

Steve Larmer is, among other things, behind Tony Amonte on this list - the same Amonte who is playing RW on Montreal's 3rd line. But we're comparing Larmer to Kapustin, a guy who led the Red Army team in goals-per-game for most of the 70's, and put up remarkably similar numbers to Alexander Yakushev on the Soviet national team. Kapustin led the world championships in goalscoring twice, and was a three time IIHF all-star at LW, beating out Valeri Kharlamov in 1978 and tying with Bill Barber in 1982...on the strength of his offense. He's also playing on a line that very closely reproduces the one on which he skated for those old Red Army teams, with the exact same right winger, and much better version of his old center. Yeah, I think there's a sizeable offensive gap between them.

If I had to take a guess, I'd probably put Kapustin's offense on about the level of a guy like Alexander Mogilny. Others may disagree, but that's my best estimation of his talent, and I'd be positively shocked if he were lower than Kovalev. If we were asking the same question vis--vis Mogilny, would there be any doubt that yes, in fact, there is a sizeable offensive difference between he and Larmer? The offensive gap between Kapustin and Larmer is probably bigger, in fact, than the one between Roenick and Morris (who would have to be at the Hawerchuk level offensively to equal the gap here), but Larmer is better defensively than Roenick, so that evens things out. The Montreal forwards are also quite a bit more physical, but at any rate, I think it's pretty much a pick 'em between these pairs.

Sturminator is offline   Reply With Quote