View Single Post
Old
05-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Baby View Post
It's almost kind of funny.

Gustafsson didn't look like anything special playing for Terry Murray's Phantoms. Injuries started happening, he gets promoted, and his game goes from stagnating to hyperactive. It was a similar situation with Schenn. Struggled early, but continued to improve as the season went on. Chalking this up to the leadership of Timonen (Gustafsson) and Pronger (Schenn).
I admit he did not look fantastic under Murray, but he was by far the best D man on the Phantoms, as he has been since he joined them in 09-10. On one of the worst AHL teams he has put up 95 points in 144 games in the AHL, with very little help on the backend, and been named to the AHL all star team twice in three years.

Tbh I was worried about his D in the NHL, but he has been very good, with steady increase in minutes, and now has arguably just been the No.1 D man on a world champ team... he played 3 more mins a game on average than any other Swedish D man through the tourney. I know the level is not fantastic, but he has had a great year and hopefully can build on in and be a top 4 D man from now on.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote