View Single Post
Old
05-20-2013, 05:35 AM
EucaLEAFtys

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
http://www2.canada.com/theprovince/n...c-84a547703ea1

His hypothetical situation is if the Islanders were interested in Luongo (and Botchford says they're not), in theory they could send a good asset (Say Nino Niederreiter) to the Canucks along with Rick DiPietro in exchange for Luongo. The Islanders get a good goalie on a bad deal, the Canucks get a good young player and buy-out DiPietro. As it's a compliance buy-out, the Canucks don't have to worry about the cap hit of DiPietro's buy-out, just the real dollars they actually have to pay him which you excuse by saying, at least the Luongo deal is off the books.

It's an interesting idea, one I haven't seen bandied around these boards too often. We saw something similar a couple years back when the Islanders wanted out from under Trent Hunter's deal and sent him to New Jersey for Brian Rolston. The Isles were banking on Rolston rebounding (he didn't), and the Devils bought out Hunter within days of acquiring him.

Botchford specuates that it could facilitate a Luongo deal with Florida if the Canucks were willing to take back Scottie Upshall's contract in return. And Florida is a team I've heard does not have the money to make a compliance buy-out (Their beat writer speculated as much on a question about Ed Jovanovski a month or so back), so there could be something there.

It's an interesting thing to consider. Teams like Phoenix (Zbynek Michalek has two more years with a $4 million cap hit); NY Islanders (DiPietro); or New Jersey (Travis Zajac's $5.75 cap hit) who might want to get out from under contracts but don't have the money to do so, could move said player along with an asset (Draft pick or prospect) to a rich team willing to pay the money to buy them out.
It is an interesting concept, but I'm having difficulty seeing how practical this will be, ginven the fact that even rich teams have contracts of their own that they would like to expunge before they consider taking on another team's bad contract.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, each team has only two of these buy-outs and can only use one amnesty/compliance buy-out per season. If indeed true, then the rich will be even more careful about using these buy-outs to help out other teams.

I just can't see woners stroking such large checks for their own players (unless they absolutely have to), so why would they do this for someone else's?

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote