View Single Post
Old
05-20-2013, 09:58 AM
krazy kanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
While I agree with you in spirit, using the three NHL arenas seems more fair than just awarding the event to the 4-5 teams fortunate enough to be in markets that can support a 6,000+ seat arena, which appears to be the new trend for this event. The chances of a smaller community hosting a Cup in this new world is almost nil.
I think this is where I stand too. I'm also with Charlie in spirit, but when you're giving an extra entry to the host team, it can't just rotate between 4-5 teams. It also doesn't help that the last 5 OHL Memorial Cups have all been located on the 100 miles of the 401 from London to Mississauga. That's too geographically condensed for a league that spans half the province and two states. This has to be fixed, or they have to make a change otherwise they'll alienate 3/4 of the league. Basically if the 67s, Gens or Fronts aren't projected to be top 4 in the league (and how often does that line up with a year the OHL is getting the Cup, especially with the Fronts) then it's going to end up in that triangle between Mississauga, Guelph and London, despite the fact that there are only 4 teams there.

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote