Paul Kariya - Sidney Crosby - Jarome Iginla
Steven Stamkos - Joe Thornton - Martin Saint-Louis
John LeClair – Eric Lindros – Daniel Heatley
Craig Conroy – Mike Peca – Jonathan Toews

Chris Pronger – Scott Niedermayer
Rob Blake – Shea Weber
Dan Boyle – Duncan Keith

Martin Brodeur (Roberto Luongo)

True. Among the players I picked, Hašek (Czechoslovakia) and Konstantinov (Soviet Union) surely would have come over earlier if not for the Iron Curtain. Fyodorov and Bure too I guess. What does my line-up look like without them? Forsberg to center, Selänne moves to this line and Ilya Kovalchuk joins them on LW. The RW spot on the third line is taken over by one out of Žigmund Pálffy, Daniel Alfredsson and Marián Hossa. Kenny Jönsson on D instead of Konstantinov, Miikka Kiprusoff as the new backup G.
Side point; had Fedorov come over in 1989 instead of 1990, it's possible that Mark Messier doesn't win the 1990 Hart trophy. Detroit would have had no need to trade for Jimmy Carson (Fedorov would have filled the 2C gap left by the trade of Adam Oates) and Yzerman perhaps scores more; Fedorov likely doesn't get as much ice time as Carson (he wasn't as established a player and likely not as skilled a scorer at that point), which might result in Yzerman scoring 130+ points. Carson remaining in Edmonton (IIRC, Detroit was the only team that made a significant offer) probably ends up playing, reducing Messier's PP time close to where it had been the previous season. Carson was the #1 center in 88-89, often sharing a PP unit with Messier and Kurri; Messier was on pace for the same ~100 points as Kurri and Carson. That probably changes history drastically for that season. Edmonton also doesn't have nearly the forward depth for the playoffs, and probably doesn't win the Cup (congratulations Boston, starring Bourque, Moog, and Neely!)

The question is... with another NHL season on his repoirtoire, does Fedorov win the 1992 Selke? He received the most first-place votes, both was left off of many ballots or placed in third, while Carbonneau took home a lot of firsts and seconds to win it in a fairly close race. With more NHL exposure, I think Fedorov might win it given what we know. Picking him as the winner isn't "wrong" for pretty much any season from 1992 through 2004, although I would argue in favor of others for several of those seasons (In that span I give Fedorov 4, Lehtinen 3, Yzerman 2, Madden 2, Conroy 1, and Carbonneau 1).

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote