View Single Post
Old
05-20-2013, 01:07 PM
HF_Rangers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
In my eyes he should step down and move on. Id feel bad for the fan base if Erie re-located. I think Bassin owes it to the fans to see the Mcdavid Era to the end. The fans support is excellent for what the on ice product has been in recent years. Bassin seems to be loyal to a fault. I.E. his defensive coach that was there too long. His scouting staff from my perspective is a joke. Maybe they are not viewing as many games as other OHL teams or maybe the scouts are terrible. In my eyes Erie has failed at drafting in rounds 2-5 in recent years. Other teams are finding building blocks or impact roster players in these areas. If u dont build through the draft your are making things much more difficult on your franchise. U draft well, u win, u develop NHL players, u fill the building, players want to be there.
I'd like to see Connor finish out his career in Erie also, but what happens if they falter out of the starting gate again this year or next? I couldn't see him playing out his OHL career in Erie unless they actually win, and I still think there's some work to be done on the defensive side.

As far as being loyal, you're on the mark. Sidorkiewicz should have left after he "resigned" as head coach in 2007. The scouting has been subpar since Frank Jay left over a decade ago, and I hear that Bassin makes the final call on the draft no matter what the scouts' opinions are.

The Otters have had some good late picks (Mike Cazzola, Shawn Szydlowski and Connor Brown come to mind) but their higher round picks have really let them down. Heck, even people are not sold on their first second rounder this year, Jesse Saban. The 2008 and 2009 drafts were a disaster and that's why they've struggled the last two years.

It looks like the 2012 draft could be a good one even if you take McDavid out of the equation. I liked what I saw from Pettit, Hodgson and Raddysh this year. It sounds like Travis Dermott should step right in next season. Hopefully the 2013 class will be just as good and they'll have something good to build on. We want a winner here!