View Single Post
Old
05-20-2013, 04:27 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
This is simply not true. As someone said above, I would choose skilled European players before NHL bottom grinders for this tournament. Team USA was (mostly) grinders + one rookie and a couple of junior players (Trouba, Gibson). Nothing like a strong team on paper.
Yes it's true. While Team USA had nothing like their best talent up and about, their top-six still consisted of no pushovers. Stastny, Smith, Bjugstad, Oshie, Galchenyuk and Moss for example are no pushovers, but 2nd line material in most of their respective teams. Sure, they aren't superstars, but very much in par of all the Ruutus, Jokinens, and Filppulas we have (and best note that I'm not dissing our own players, but complimenting the Americans'). And if we had had M.Koivu, T.Ruutu, J.Jokinen and Filppula on top of Granlund and Korpikoski and some grinders like Komarov, Hartikainen and Petrell to man the bottom units - AND even half the defense USA had, many would have considered it an insanely stacked Team Finland.

But you're speaking apples and oranges anyway, since pointing this out and saying that skilled Europeans shouldn't sometimes make it instead of these guys are not mutually exclusive arguments. In fact, I agree with the notion that an NHL status does not make a messiah. I was quite sated with the way some of our euro guys played and would not mind them making the olympic squad either. But still, if Finland had had the number NHL players of USA's level, many would have considered them a huge favorite.

Last edited by FiLe: 05-20-2013 at 05:22 PM.