View Single Post
Old
05-20-2013, 07:29 PM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I've only had limited viewings of Nurse so i'll defer to those of you who have more firsthand knowledge. He seems like a guy who has a lot of potential but is a bit of a project at this point. He really only started to burst onto the scene this season.

I'm not sure what Ference has to do with who the Oilers draft pick, it's not like they are dealing the pick for Ference.
I'm saying that if they have a chance to get Yandle, Del Zotto or somebody of that ilk with #7 being the centerpiece then i think that the Oilers should do it. Nurse, Zadarov etc. can only hope to be near as good as those guys one day.

If Monahan is available, then that's another story. It's really difficult to acquire legit top 6 centers through trade or free agency so the draft is the best chance to get one and Monahan fits the bill plus he's a really safe bet to be at least a strong #3C in the league.
Nurse isn't really a project IMO. His skating and puck skills are very apparent in watching him play, he's not just a big guy that fumbles around with the puck and has a bunch of raw skills. He showed well for an OHL player of any age this year. Is there improvements to be made to his game? Absolutely, just like any prospect. I like to compare him a bit to Zach Bogosian in Winnipeg, that type of nasty shutdown d-man that has a great package of tools but not necessarily a Norris winner. That's the type of player I think Nurse will be in the NHL. Keep in mind Bogosian was drafted in 2008, and this has been his first year of being truly valuable - 5 years later. Dmen in general take a while to develop, but once they do they are obviously difficult to acquire.

He also didn't really burst on to the scene, he has been being talked about in Ontario for years and was a top 5 pick in that league's draft, he was also on Team Canada at the U18 World Championships last year so he has been known in prospect circles for quite some time.