View Single Post
Old
05-20-2013, 07:54 PM
WhiskeySeven
Retired. Bye.

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
But not old enough to realize that there is a huge difference in criticizing the lack of moves that a GM did not make and "giving up on a GM". Budz.
Way, way agreed.

I'm quite critical of MT's misdeeds in the last stretch and MB since the Desharnais extension and his inactivity at the deadline but I won't say that I gave up on them... it's just the greater culture of the club hasn't really seemed to change and I'm wondering at what point we'll see a noticeable difference between the Gillette/Boivin/Gainey era and the Molson/Savard/Bergevin era.

They're both preach patience and character, they both don't like making drastic moves and both groups LOVE sticking to the status quo.

After last year's debacle a more aggressive GM would've ripped the leadership structure and made sure the team knew that the regime had changed - this one did the opposite: they coddled Gionta, Gorges and Markov as if we just came off a hard fought SCF loss. Bergevin traded for Drewiske even though most of our offense at the time (and since) was reliant on unproven super young players and PK Subban's PP heroics. Our best scoring depth was Bournival/LeBlanc in hamilton.

It's those kinda small moves and non-moves that upset me - classic small-time "we'll be a stronger team next year!" kinda mentality.

I remember when people were drooling about Grabovski/Kostitsyn/Kostitsyn coming up. Has our club really improved since then? I know our on-ice team is more talented, for sure but we're still operating like we used to. It's time to trade some of these prospects for good players, it's time to make some hard moves. Buy out Gionta, buy out Kaberle - don't settle for mediocrity just because it works hard. We have a very hard-working team already - Kostopoulos isn't going to win us a cup we need to get another good d-man, and a GREAT scoring winger. They're not cheap but we have the assets.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote