View Single Post
Old
05-21-2013, 06:11 AM
Hoogaar23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
How many of us were clamoring for a 1 year deal for Smyth? He tanked in the back 1/2 of the '11-12 season, instead they signed him to a 2 year deal MacT will probably have him back
I was one of the few who didn't want him brought back at all (from LA) because I knew he would be afforded boatloads of icetime at the expense of younger players who needed it like Paajarvi, Hartikainen, and Omark (don't want to get in an argument about him - I still believe he can be a significant point producer in the NHL, not yet ready to admit I'm wrong until I see him get another shot).

There were a lot of "I told you so"s after the first part of the 11-12 season. Then the wheels fell off. How, on a rebuilding team full of young talent, old plugs like Smyth and Horcoff end up being the runaway TOI leaders is beyond stupid. 11-12 would have been the perfect year to really see what we had with some of these other kids.

But, the season was done, and a lot of us hoped/assumed that management realized their error until they come out and tell us they have just signed Smyth for 2 years. Why are 1 year deals not good for the great Ryan Smyth? They were OK for guys like Selanne, Lidstrom, Sakic, etc...but not the great Smyth?

Anyway - count me in with the group that wants Smyth to retire or get bought out.

If Hemsky were to be moved to the 3rd line, that would give us a $13M 3rd line. Easily the most expensive 3rd line in the league, and arguably one of the worst - certainly one of the softest. The bottom 6 has been a huge problem. Smyth and Horcoff are HUGE parts of that.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote