View Single Post
05-21-2013, 08:41 AM
vCash: 500
Regarding the attraction of winning teams, the coach of Nipissing was quoted a few years ago complaining that many guys he talked to from the OHL would rather go to the AUS and be a depth player rather than get top minutes on his (new then) team.

UNB doesn't get everyone MacDougall wants, but those studs from the WHL still often land in the AUS. Some guys want to ensure that their new team will give them top-6 forward (or top D pairing) ice time, including power play time, that might not be there right away at UNB.Some guys want to play with their buddies from Junior. Some go where their girlfriend can get into the program she wants. I've known cases were guys want to get as far away as they can from their hockey parents. Sadly, sometimes they want to get away from legal troubles at home. There are a ton of non-monetary reasons (if you consider that the top hockey programs are all offering similar AFA's).

Another reason. As has been pointed out, the AUS is the top draw for CIS men's hockey attendance. It matters in the Maritimes. I believe all eight AUS teams were in the CIS Top 10 for attendence this past season. More fans means more excitement in the rink, and more revenue to put back into the hockey program. I know it is a factor for some recruits that they are going to play in front of several hundred to three thousand plus hockey fans in an AUS rink as opposed to a handful in some OUA or Canada West barns.

One thing no one has mentioned yet is that most AUS teams line-up fall exhibition road trip games against NCAA teams in the Hockey East and ECAC conferences, including big names like Boston College and prestigious names like Yale and Harvard. Lots of chances to get noticed by scouts at those games for post-CIS minor pro opportunities as well. Yes, I know the OUA plays in New England too, but not Canada West.

Do you still think money is the only determinant where a player goes?

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote