View Single Post
Old
05-21-2013, 11:52 AM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiHockey View Post
But ... Canada West teams play exhibition games against (e.g.) Minnesota, Denver, etc. It's a bit of a stretch, to say the least, to say that anyone would choose UNB over Sask because they play Boston College instead of Minnesota.
I never implied that playing New England NCAA teams was the single reason a recruit might come to the AUS. I'm proposing it is one factor in a bundle of factors.

However, some Saskatchewan-born players might (and do) choose to come to UNB because they've won 4 of the last 7 University Cups (and counting ...) and the Huskies haven't won the UCup in their lifetime. Winning matters. That's part of MacDougall's "closing" on recruiting: "Do you want to win? Do you dream big?"

You keep coming back to Western. By any measure, they do pretty well recruiting wise. I haven't heard of too many players they went after hard that ended up in the AUS, but maybe that is the case. I dunno. But their hockey team doesn't come close to getting the local media coverage that the Knights do, nor can they compete for attendance (a common problem in markets with both Major Junior and CIS teams), which wouldn't be an issue for their football team.

On the other hand, I don't know how much money the Western hockey program has raised in their "AFA pot", and if they're not close to maxing out then they could be losing out by not being able to offer AFAs to prospects who have offers from better funded programs. In that particular case, then money could be a factor, but it is all above board (who can blame a student-athlete wanting to get his education subsidized?) and the Western hockey program would have no one but themselves to blame (or maybe complain about alumni dollars flowing to the football program ... which is not really a problem at UNB, UdeM, UPEI, Dal or STU).

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 05-21-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: some
FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote