View Single Post
Old
05-21-2013, 11:11 AM
MiamiHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
I never implied that playing New England NCAA teams was the single reason a recruit might come to the AUS. I'm proposing it is one factor in a bundle of factors.
I'm saying it's a complete non-factor, because the western NCAA teams are just as good and just as high-profile as the New England teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
You keep coming back to Western. By any measure, they do pretty well recruiting wise.
That's because Western is an example of the opposite of everything that has been argued in favour of the AUS teams. It is a great school (certainly Top 10 in terms of academic reputation in Canada), in a great location, with shorter travel times than the AUS. They normally play exhibition games against Michigan and Michigan State, and go to the CIS Championships roughly every 2nd year.

So what's different about Western vs. the AUS teams that recruit more successfully?

Attendance
Academic Standards
Funding

That's all I'm saying. It's not a personal attack on UNB or its supporters, just the reality of the situation.

I think there's really nothing else to discuss here, to be frank, because we see two diverging opinions on the same issues.

Incidentally, I personally see nothing wrong with a player choosing to go to UNB or St FX because they can get more of their education or living expenses paid for, or because they can get into a program that they (or their girlfriend ) couldn't get into at another school. Good for them. I'd probably do the same. The fact is, most Major Junior players have an average in the mid to low 70's, when you need an average in the high 80's or low 90's to get into most of the programs at McGill, Queen's, or Western.

But, please, enough with claiming that the vast recruiting success in the AUS has to do with the charm of the coaching staff, exposure to scouts, or the opportunity to win championships. Those arguments don't hold up.

MiamiHockey is offline   Reply With Quote