View Single Post
Old
05-21-2013, 11:28 AM
varanger94

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginary Threats View Post
Finally someone who gets it. The ref said in a rather more blunt and upfront way that if a Rangers player did that to someone and they called it Torts would probably be furious. The same can be said for most calls in a game. I remember once I was on the line for a semi-pro game and a player got hit in the face with the puck (with blood) the ref called a high sticking penalty but I told him it clearly wasn't so he reversed the call, the players were furious with me and saying "just call offside and icing lino" then they shut up when I told them "what if it was your player getting the penalty and I hadn't said anything, you'd be pretty mad at me wouldn't you?"

With this particular incident the punch was behind the play, and it's the playoffs. Sometimes it's better to just shout at the players than to stop the game and call a penalty for something trivial behind the play. It's called game management. A concept most fans can't seem to grasp, as they don't realise the rules of hockey are actually specifically written to allow referees as much discretion as possible.
I guess you can punch someone in the head as long as it's behind the play.They were about 10 feet from O'hallaran. How about an elbow to the head. Just shout out to the player, You better stop that. Furthermore, O'hallaran didn't say anything to the players, he said it to Torts. Their are times when they call a silly hook behind the play. That's the point. their is no consistency. One game call everything One period call everything One game call nothing. One period call nothing.

varanger94 is offline   Reply With Quote