View Single Post
Old
05-21-2013, 12:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
It seems every year the kids who play on good teams that go deep in the playoffs and get a lot of exposure are rated higher and climb at the end. And this seems logical. The kids play well, are on a winner, etc. I'm talking about the likes of Domi, Horvat, Petan, etc.

But part of me wonders if it's better to look at kids who were on teams where they didn't get the good coaching and didn't get used properly and didn't get great linemates and might be under the radar gems.

An example I know well is Justin Bailey. I believe if he were on London, he'd be getting top-15 consideration by now. Granted, his development curve will be longer due to what he missed in junior, but I'd definitely use a 2nd rounder on a kid like that. And I'm sure there are more like him out there. Victims of their circumstances.

Scouts need to not be swayed by the bright lights.
The extra exposure works both ways, not all guys still playing are rising. Zadorov's stock has taken a hit the last 5-6 weeks, reports were he had a less than stellar OHL playoff and the 2 games at the Memorial Cup have been ok but nothing special.