View Single Post
Old
05-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Crease

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
I can buy this way to frame the debate, but then you have to define what sufficiently means. It is by definition a subjective term. If I define it as in Hank plays sufficiently in the playoffs to give the team a chance to win games, then I am in the 1st category.
I was waiting for someone to ask for clarification.

Some take their game to a higher level in the playoffs. Some stay on par with their regular season play. And some lose a step.

For me, sufficently means at least staying on par with their regular season play. Wayne Gretzky scores 35 points in 19 playoff games in 1983. Incredible. But well below his 2.45 PPG pace that season. He could do better. And he showed it. The following year? 47 points in 18 playoff games. They brought down the Islanders dynasty that Spring.

Lundqvist has had individual playoff games where he was other-worldy, absolutely. He's also had quite a few clunkers by his standards. And those clunkers are more frequent in the playoffs than in the regular season.

He's certainly performed well enough to give a team with average scoring ability a chance to win. I won't argue that. I'm only arguing that he's far more consistent in the regular season than in the playoffs. He could do better by his own standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
If zoom out a little bit, although it's certainly reasonable to ask questions about Hank, my opinion is he is the least of this team's problems. There are bigger issues that need to be addressed.
No argument here.