View Single Post
Old
05-21-2013, 04:22 PM
Chau Vo
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Playing against pros and semi pros in open hockey isn't the same.

You can definitely try to latch on to a FHL or ECHL team through open try outs. They all have them at the beginning of the year and will take a good look at you if you show potential. It doesn't hurt them because you're going to be paying to try out. That is the easiest way to know if you're good enough or not right off the bat.

Having a good "resume" like Patches said is important because coaches will take you more seriously.

As far as what level of competition to expect, I played college club D2 and didn't even make it out of open try outs for the Ontario Reign. My buddy played BCHL and later NCAA D3 and made it to the preseason roster but was cut soon after. A lot of the guys who already had a spot on the team pretty much all played D1 and up or Major Junior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
anddd to continue on with my rant... ( i find talking about it to others about ideas, diminished loop holes and bring back more passion of mine)

I always had a thing for coaching at a high level. I love working with kids and I would love to work with high school or junior teams as a coach. But obviously would love to get into the NHL one day.

I know I need a licence. But what are some crazy NHL routes you guys have heard about. I heard this new coach in the NHL, Blue Jackets? Is from Europe...

What is a proper way to get into the Junior leagues or NCAA teams? if you have any knowledge on this. I would love to know
Coaching is different. You'll usually start off in low minor or junior leagues and work your way up.

And Todd Richards has extensive pro playing experience. He was drafted in the 2nd round and bounced from league to league and yes he ended up playing in Europe but in Switzerland's highest league.

He started coaching in the AHL and then became the Wild's head coach after 4 or 5 years and now he's with Columbus. So pretty traditional route. You may be thinking of their GM who came from a European team.

I don't think you get how competitive and cut throat getting playing/coaching jobs in pro hockey is. There is simply too many good people and few spots. The stars have to align the right way for you or you have to know someone who is willing to put their name out and vouch for you.

Good luck.

Last edited by Chau Vo: 05-21-2013 at 04:29 PM.