View Single Post
05-21-2013, 05:27 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
For a team that went to the ECF last year, losing in 4-5 in the second round would be under achieving, I don't know how anyone can argue that. Funny you mention Richards, who was responsible for bringing him here? Torts. While no one expected such a drastic decline, Tortorella was the driving force behind the signing and therefore needs to have some of the responsibility. I also disagree completely about Callahan, I thought he had a terrible season. Girardi took a major step back after an all star season. Del Zotto had his moments, but he's still inconsistent and has not been good in the playoffs. That's another big impact there. Gaborik's bad season was a huge reason why we were in 8th or 9th until the trade deadline, and while he was shipped out of here, he was brutal which impacts the rest of the team and put a ton of pressure on Nash. The lack of depth killed us in the regular season, and yes, Sather tried to address that at the deadline, but it doesn't change the fact that this team has way too much talent to be a 6 seed.

I'm not blaming Tortorella, but he has not done a very good job this year. He refused to adjust his system, even a little, and under no circumstance should a team be 2 for 36 on the Power Play. Is all this grounds for firing? Not necessarily.
It's not just "a team that went to the ECF last year," though. It's a team that went to the ECF, then had massive roster turnover, then started a shortened season with almost 15 million dollars worth of dead space in two first line players that completely lost their step. Then that same team lost their number one d-man. Given all that, is making it to the second round acceptable? To me, yes. Is another coach who is actually available going to be able to do better than that? I don't know, but I doubt it.