View Single Post
Old
05-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Habiton

vCash: 500
2012-2013 - Tomas Plekanec - 23rd among centers in scoring and 26th among icetime
2011-2012 - Tomas Plekanec - 29th among centers in scoring and 8th among icetime
2010-2011 - Tomas Plekanec - 23rd among centers in scoring and 10th among icetime
2009-2010 - Tomas Plekanec - 14th among centers in scoring and 17th among icetime

What I find interesting is that this year his minutes were lowered yet his effectiveness stayed the same which shows to me that the team has players to help shoulder the load (like in 09-10) in Eller and Galchenyuk. It also shows that Pleks can still produce in a type of environment where there is no "defined" first line center but 2 very strong offensive and defensive lines and a 3rd line which is put in a scoring situation to take advantage of their strengths.

What all that means is that our future will quite easily include Eller and Pleks and even Galchenyuk as our centers because they are all players who complement eachothers styles. None require the "spotlight" and none require easy assignments. This gives us unparalleled flexibility in terms of players we can add.

For example if this team gets Malkin, Galch can shift to the wing and we can roll with something like this

Patches - Malkin - Gally
Galch - Pleks - Kristo
Bourque - Eller - UFA/Bozon

At the same time if we get Gaborik we can roll with this

Gaborik - Pleks - Gally
Bourque - Eller - UFA/Bozon
Patches - Galch - Kristo

And if we dont manage to land either of those ones then we still have the option to pair Eller and Galchenyuk.

My point here is that this team is built to have 3 dangerous lines, any of them will be on fire at any given point and pending the right coaching will be played more. It can create competition between lines and not players which will only help to fuel our offense.

Maybe Im overly optimistic here but I think we have an incredible opportunity to strike in the 2014-2015 FA period and make this team into a cup contender. We arent many pieces away.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote