View Single Post
Old
05-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Lundqvist, like Liut from 1979-'87 in his first 8 years is in the running as the best goalie. I personally would take Billy Smith over Liut in those years though. Fuhr to a lesser extent although he had only played 6 seasons.

Lundqvist battles it out with Luongo and Thomas in my opinion. If you think it's a walk for Lundqvist then there must be some explanation as to why it took him 7 years to not only win a Vezina but garner an all-star nod. Luongo and Thomas both have individual seasons better than him in this time frame (2007 and 2011 for Thomas). Both have much better playoff runs than him where they were the most important cog on their team (2011 for both). Lundqvist is now currently down 3-0 in the Bruins series. He's far from an infallible goalie, he is a goalie that plays strong technically but from what I have seen in his career not one that has elevated his play high enough to carry his team further. That should make anyone hesitate to put him #1 since 2005.

Goalies that most would describe as not as good as him such as Ward or Fleury have found a way to put together very nice playoff runs that Lundqvist hasn't equalled.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote