View Single Post
Old
05-22-2013, 12:15 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I'm surprised that teams haven't started keying in on guys coming off bad years to get a decent player for their fourth line. Every year you see other guys like Paille (like Patrick Eaves, Clarke MacArthur, Scott Gomez, etc.) sign for peanuts and become quality fourth liners despite the fact that they don't exactly fit the mould teams are looking for there. Having a guy like that opens the door to using a couple of less skilled players if you want a fourth line that is big and intimidating.

I like the Brad Richardson suggestion.

Another guy I see as a buy low opportunity is Alexei Ponikarovsky. His offense fell off the map this season (9 points in 42 games) but he was still a quality possession player who got the short end of the stick in terms of the percentages. He only got $1.8 million last offseason coming off a 33 point season, and it's tough to imagine much of a market for him with a declining cap and his production this year. He's a good bounceback bet and fits the size mantra Gillis seems to be preaching. Worst case, he'd be a decent fourth liner.
Kyle Wellwood.

Takes no penalties and if you bookend him with a couple big, physical wingers that can put the puck in the net you might have something. You would at least win a lot of faceoffs and outchance opponents 4th lines.

Ponikarovsky Wellwood Kassian

Steve Bernier is another guy that fit your description pretty well. Players with top 9 upside that can't quite stick.

If the Leafs swing a deal with the Lefas for Luongo I think Frattin would be a nice addition to the 4th line. Need to start targeting guys that have 8-10 goal upside - something we likely wouldn't out out of an entire 4th line with Sestito and Weise on it.