View Single Post
Old
05-22-2013, 06:49 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

vCash: 500
Ola, I agree with you. In the cap era, you don't always have to go for the home run, sometimes the no name value moves work better than a mega deal.

Matt Moulson, Marc Metthiot, Anton Strahlman, even the Bruins developing Johnny Boychuk..all were minor moves that made nice impacts.

The Gaborik trade was great for that reason. Gave the Rangers three young controllable pieces for good prices.

Those are the type of free agents the Rangers should target 9/10 times. Richards was necessary but with his declining skills, and Stepan and Brassard doing a fine job as the top 2, if they can't get Filpulla for a decent price, they can always find a player like an Antropov to take a 1-2 year cheap deal because of his diminished production. And that's only the tip of the iceberg. Somewhere one of the other 29 teams is going to give up on a young player who hasn't produced and can be signed for cheap. Rangers once traded away Dave Gagner who excelled with the North Stars. Maybe Roman Cervenka, 27 years old and who will be a UFA can be developed in a different system.

That's why a guy like Babchuk intrigues me even though I don't love his game. He had an awful year and expects to play in the KHL, but if the Rangers can get him for a 1-2 year deal for 1.5 million, he's a hard shooting RIGHTY Dman who could help the PP.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote