View Single Post
Old
05-22-2013, 10:04 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoning View Post
You don't think back-to-back shutouts in Games 6 and 7 against one of the top offensive teams in the league is an example of a goalie elevating his play to carry his team further? Without Lundqvist, the Rangers aren't even close to making the playoffs.
I think Games 6/7 are the highlight of his playoff career thus far, but when we're looking at a goalie who goes from a .920 in the regular season to a .920 in the playoffs and comparing him to a goalie who goes from a .922 in the regular season to a .933 in the playoffs, it becomes a question of whether the first goalie is elevating his play relative to the second goalie.

And the whole not-even-close-to-making-the-playoffs thing rubs me the wrong way. Sometimes I think people give extra credit to players on teams that finish 4th-8th in the Conference because it's easier to say, "Oh, if they lose this elite player, they're a non-playoff team." Martin Biron has been a .913 since coming to New York. Truthfully, if Lundqvist wasn't there, they would've picked someone up who was better than Martin Biron, but whatever. Anyway, say the Rangers had a .913 save percentage this year: Their goal differential is still positive, and every team in the East with a positive goal differential made the playoffs.

I don't doubt that he's offered the most value at his position in eight years, but that has more to do with the Rangers having shallow goaltending depth than Lundqvist making an argument for being the best.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote