View Single Post
Old
05-22-2013, 01:11 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Sekera and Weber have developed fine. I think both of them have panned out well. I wish Sekera's offensive game developed a bit more, but he's good in every other facet of the game.

It's still too early to judge Myers. Weber and Sekera are prime examples of a defenseman's learning curve.
Do you have any actual comparables to go with that conventional wisdom? Guys who fluctuated as greatly and for as long as Buffalo's defensemen have?

And the end result of Sekera's development was fine, but the process is what I'm critical of. He made the league, then got saddled with a role he couldn't handle and a coach on his case (there was a whole article about Ruff single-ing out Rej in practice the next season, but TBN's archives are not google friendly), and couldn't develop in anonymity as a bottom pairing guy because they were paying Rivet and West Coast Monty a combined 5 mil, and Butler was also pushing for the single open roster spot (Nathan Paetsch's NHL salary was effecting the decision making process during this time too, crazily).

When I say "developmental environment," I'm not just singling out Ruff. A roster with a jillion dollars in bottom pairing gatekeepers and/or one stable defensive player isn't going to help our prospects achieve their potential, and these issues have been Buffalo's reality for the past handful of seasons.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote