Old
05-22-2013, 12:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
When did they lay off employees?

I honestly don't know, but is it something they do every year?
Its from the original article. Sourced direct statements from the firm.

This being one of the key points causing me to have this concern on behalf of Albertan, and local, firms and employers.

Quote:
The news comes at a particularly difficult time for Waiward and other local steel fabricators, which have seen their order books shrink as capital spending in the oilsands slows. Waiward recently laid off about 50 workers, reducing its total head count to about 220.

Lower oil prices and continued uncertainty about the fate of TransCanada’s proposed Keystone XL pipeline are key factors behind the drop in capital spending.

“Voyageur was the big one for us,” says Degner, referring to Suncor’s recent decision to cancel its long-delayed $11.6 billion Voyageur upgrader project.

“Right now, we’re fighting quite a significant slowdown. Competition has also got a lot more fierce, mostly from foreign and out-of-province suppliers,” he says, including Asian steel makers.
Without looking at that key piece in the article one does not necessarily understand my concern as expressed.

That getting this contract would have been a godsend to these local firms. A much needed one.

These are not bloated firms as much as they are struggling due to contracts heading out of province more and more frequently while Albertans show no concern.