View Single Post
Old
05-22-2013, 05:55 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I am curious as to what the other risks are. As I see it terminating a KHL contract to sign in the NHL pretty much negates the biggest concern that most teams would have with him. What other issues are of concern for you?
I don't see it as the issue being negated though.

Terminating his contract means that he could play in the NHL next year. But if the team that drafts him isn't willing to make him an NHL regular immediately, he'll be back in the KHL with Dynamo. He's said as much. Once he's there for a few years, there's no saying what he's going to decide. Russian players playing in Canadian Major Junior have left for the KHL when the road to the NHL didn't go as smoothly as expected (Filatov, Radulov, Zharkov). In Radulov's case, even after he was guaranteed an NHL job and his ELC had expired, he decided to stay in the KHL. Heck, even players like Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, and Datsyuk almost stayed in the KHL despite having big money contracts and ties to the NHL. And others have decided not to even bother coming over at all (Kuznetsov).

It seems to me like Nichushkin wants to call all the shots, and that's something that would worry me if I'm a team thinking about using a top 5 (or top 7) pick on the kid. In fact, I might actually be LESS likely to take him now than when he was planning on honouring his 2 year deal with Dynamo.