View Single Post
Old
05-23-2013, 11:56 AM
RayzorIsDull

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
There are 19 other teams in the league. While I believe the US teams could do a great job hosting, Sportsnet and the corporate sponsors probably won't go for it. The remaining 16 could provide the necessary requirements (hotels, ease of transportation, etc.) and all 16 could put together an all-star type team in the next couple of years. All 16 communities have places to go/things to see for visiting fans. What the smaller venues don't have is the ability to guarantee $2 million profit.

Unfortunately for OHL fans, it's about the money and not much else. The WHL has smaller communities hosting and so does the Q. At this point, we can pretty much guarantee that Ottawa will host in 2017 unless they choose not to bid.

I love junior hockey and I love the Memorial Cup tournament, but they're pricing themselves out of the market in the OHL. I can't say I will never again buy a full package, but the chances are slim.
This is a terrific post and this is what I have said when the business model has outgrown their target market. Since Branch believes it's imperative that the Memorial Cup host be a contender in their league and counting on a long playoff run. Season tickets + playoff tickets + memorial cup tickets. I bet in most places for a single seat it would cost a fan between $1400-1500 for one year. You can get season tickets to many NHL teams for much less than that. Kind of ridiculous to dole out that kind of money on teenagers playing hockey.

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote