View Single Post
Old
05-23-2013, 02:13 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs252 View Post
My line of thinking with Richards is this:

If he were a free agent coming off this season, and especially given this year's free agent class, would we give him a one year deal? (I'd wager, yes).

If his contract were slated to expire after the 2013/14 season, would there be such a clamoring to buy him out? (I'd wager, no).

For all intents and purposes, he's signed to a one year deal for 2013/14 with a 5 year option. As the team figures to be constructed next year, he gives us the best option to be competitive even with all the problems he's shown this year. There isn't a true 1/2 C option on the market, and it's better to figure out if he still is one with Brassard / Stepan as the safety net (alternatively, if those two are a 1 / 2 C with Richards as the safety net).

I don't necessarily mean this the way it's going to come out, but he's not really the thing holding this team back. He's certainly not helping, but there are too many question marks up and down this roster for me to think it's a good idea to create a new one (center depth).
If he gets injured next year, the Rangers can not buy him out. That is a MAJOR issue.