Thread: Player Discussion: Brad Richards Part III: The Buy-Out!
View Single Post
Old
05-23-2013, 01:23 PM
tjs252

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
If he gets injured next year, the Rangers can not buy him out. That is a MAJOR issue.
I've written my thoughts as to why this is such a foolish fear:

He's not going to voluntarily retire after 2014 with all that money due to him. Any injury he has that precludes a buyout (let's say, the dreaded "upper body injury" as the Rangers so vaguely call it) places him on LTIR, where his cap hit won't count against our cap.

Due to the nature of the amnesty buyout (all remaining $ paid over a term of years twice the remaining term, and no contractual 'offset' on future deals) the NHLPA has no real incentive to interfere with a buyout (meaning, contesting that a player is 'injured' and therefore cannot be bought out). I can't imagine the league attempting to dispute the validity of an amnesty buyout given they already bent heavily on the rules with Redden and Gomez and their "accelerate" buyout status. The player obviously wouldn't have any issues with a buyout as it's essentially making the next contract "found" money.

Really, this injury mess is much ado about nothing for a team like us where there is no such thing as a budget if you can get around the cap (like LTIR, burying the contract in the AHL, etc).