View Single Post
Old
05-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
1. I think he's been a good defensive defensemen in 2 of the last 3 seasons.
2. I don't think # of games is relevant....plenty of younger, lesser games played Captains have been named
3. I think a rotating Captaincy, or multiple alternates/no captain is an absolutely stupid path to take
4. I think "bottom pairing" defensemen who can play shutdown situations are very important members of a team

He basically will be taking over Regehrs role, has a similar demeanor on the ice, will stand up for his teammates, and has a take no ******** attitude off the ice (see interviews)

His biggest qualification? He's had to fight for his job every single year.
Just trying to give a dissenting opinion. How you interpret it is up to you.

Personally, I'm somewhat intrigued by the Weber idea but more because I have always felt that letter's are a somewhat massively overrated thing. Also, it coincides with what I've felt has been a misguided strategy by the organization to find/annoint/appoint "leadership" instead of letting it develop organically. But it seems like they're still in a mindset of "we need to find our core" which, I think, is based on a misunderstanding of why this team was successful after the lockout. They should be focusing just on acquiring talent that fits and let the rest shake out afterwards, IMO.

So someone who doesn't really have obvious qualifications is interesting. Frankly, I'm not particularly interested or concerned in the identity of the captain next year or even if there is one.

I won't go into a point-by-point response about your defense of Weber with the exception of the 4th point. Bottom pair defensemen who play shutdown minutes, are, theoretically, fairly easy to come by, IMO (so not particularly valuable in the sense that they can be replaced more easily). As someone who touts player value as much as you do, I'm a bit surprised you disagree.

EDIT: I guess some of this probably belongs in a different thread

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote