View Single Post
Old
05-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Chief

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Seems to support the notion that aside from his knack for scoring goals, he didn't provide much else to the club.
I think we're minimizing Esposito's importance to those Ranger teams by making it seem like scoring goals wasn't a very big deal. When opposing coaches faced the Rangers, I'd be willing to hazard a guess that they were more worried about Esposito's line than any other.

As for the sportswriter's MVP award. I don't know how much stock to put into that award. Should it mean more than the 3 All Star Teams Esposito made as a Ranger?

What I do know is that in the 78-79 playoffs. Hedberg scored 4 goals and 9 points in 18 games. Esposito scored 8 goals and 20 points in 18 games. Esposito's totals tied him with linemate Don Maloney for 1st on the team in playoff scoring. Hedberg's totals tied him for 8th place. (And I only mention Hedberg because he won the MVP award over Espo in 78-79.)

As for Tkaczuk, let me take the unpopular position that I think he's being too highly rated by some. In trying to compare his role on the team to a modern day player, I was thinking Patrice Bergeron. Would Patrice Bergeron warrant a high place on a list like this? Maybe. But if he did, you would bring up that Bergeron's strong two-way play helped earn the Bruins a Stanley Cup. Tkaczuk's efforts did not result in a Cup for the Rangers. You'd also probably mention that Bergeron has won a Selke Trophy. Tkaczuk never did. Granted, the Selke was only first awarded after the 77-78 season, which only gave Walt his last 4 seasons to compete for the award. In the end, I'm having a hard time placing Takczuk higher on my list than as one of the bottom of the top 10 spots.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote