View Single Post
Old
05-23-2013, 08:04 PM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That is simply not true. If Risto is available and Lindholm/Monahan is gone, you are taking Risto without the thought that he is a 6th defenseman. But if Lindholm is there and you take Risto over him, he suddenly becomes a 6th defenseman? Come on. It is not a hard and fast rule that drafting for need leads to a wasted pick. REACHING to draft a need might bite you in the ass, but drafting a defenseman who is ranked high on your board over a center that is ranked maybe, one position higher, is not a wasted pick.
You read that in a literal sense huh? You're relating what I wrote directly to this year's draft and a few select players. I was really going to say when you draft for need you end up with Thomas Hickey, but that draft as a whole wasn't too good.

Anyway, part of setting your board up is to get the best value. Teams rank (or should rank) players in tiers. Now in those tiers is where you rank guys based on positional need. If tier I is #1 defensemen/1st line forwards and tier II is #2 defensemen/2nd line forwards, you would be foolish to take a defenseman in tier II over a forward in tier I, just because you are desperate for a position. I highly doubt teams go through that scenario in the last part of your post on draft day. That work is all done ahead of time and reflected on the final board.

Last edited by FLYguy3911: 05-23-2013 at 08:09 PM.