Old
05-23-2013, 07:26 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
You read that in a literal sense huh? You're relating what I wrote directly to this year's draft and a few select players. I was really going to say when you draft for need you end up with Thomas Hickey, but that draft as a whole wasn't too good.
Yeah I got what you were saying, that's why I called it a "wasted pick" in the second part of my post, which seemed to be what you were indicating.

Quote:
Anyway, part of setting your board up is to get the best value. Teams rank (or should rank) players in tiers. Now in those tiers is where you rank guys based on positional need. If tier I is #1 defensemen/1st line forwards and tier II is #2 defensemen/2nd line forwards, you would be foolish to take a defenseman in tier II over a forward in tier I, just because you are desperate for a position. I highly doubt teams go through that scenario in the last part of your post on draft day. That work is all done ahead of time and reflected on the final board.
I'm not too sure teams rank players that way. I think teams rank them like we see the ISS and such rank them. I could be wrong, but I think they look at where they are picking. Look at who they have at which positions. Look at the prospects available, and make a list much like we see through ISS and such. The tiered system you are talking about would be very difficult to administer IMO. I mean in this draft you would have something like this:

Tier 1
Jones
MacKinnon
Drouin
Barkov

Tier 2
Pretty much every other forward slated to go in the first round
Nurse

There would be very few defensemen chosen who weren't considered a bad pick in your system.