View Single Post
10-03-2006, 10:39 PM
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Originally Posted by CarteRichards View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to this site, and to skating, so I didn't want to start a whole new thread for this, kind of embarrassing, question. As I said, I'm new to skating, and while I don't fall at all, and seem to be a pretty decent skater, I can't stop at all. OK, get a good laugh out of that, but when you're done laughing can anyone give me some tips on stopping, please. I see guys skating really fast, and then stopping on a dime, and wonder how they do that. I skate at a decent pace, try to stop, and almost go face first to the ice. Anyways, thanks for any help you can give me.
Ok, this is my next favorite thing to teach....Stopping!

So here goes. Stopping is like snow skiing. It has everything to do with shifting weight. So how do you shift weight? Pretty simple!

It has everything to do with shifting your weight from your legs to your chest and then shifting the weight back to your legs. Ok, so how do you do that?

Simple, it just a matter of doing a so called little bunny hop. Ah what, you say?

A Bunny hop! As you skate forward, and the position of your skates should be shoulder width apart or a little less, you do a little hop and that will transfers the weight from your legs to your chest. Make sure that your knees are bent in order to get that hop.

This bunny hop is just a matter of going from bent knees to standing straight up with a little hop and turning and going back to the bent knee position.

During that process, you turn one or both leg perpendicular to the direction you are going and then gradually transfer that weight from your chest, back to your skates. The fast you move that weight back down to your skates the faster you will stop.

Good Luck!
Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote