View Single Post
Old
05-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Broad Street Elite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Huh? You can pretty much say that about every single player that will be drafted then. Every player has some kind of flaw or two and Pulocks is skating and defense. From what I read, the skating part is a huge reason for his poor defense. He has a difficult time keeping up with players that can skate decently well.
I have watched Pulock play probably more than any other draft eligible prospect (the London boys are close). His evolution has definitely not been as dramatic as some other prospects. Before this season, I would have agreed that Pulock's skating was below average, but he's made tremendous strides this season and I really don't see it as a weakness nor below average. Certainly not a weakness to the degree it was for Couturier imo, which is good, because skating is obviously a big part of playing defense.

As far as being a defensive liability, I really never saw that even last season. I think this is a case of a player being provided the "offensive defenseman" moniker and that can often intrinsically suggest his defense is bad. It's not. Pulock plays with a solid hockey I.Q., shows very solid fundamentals and physicality, and has a good transition and puckhandling game. His strength is certainly is cannon of shot, but don't presume that he'll be a defensive liability. Someone earlier in this thread compared him to Ryan Suter and I think that's appropriate. Button uses Al MacInnis. Others have said Rob Blake. I really don't see the later two, but the former probably is appropriate with good development.

There was a good thread here on HF where people were comparing Pulock and Morgan Rielly. While people's preferences were back and forth, the consenus said that Rielly was the more dynamic offensive puckhandler, while Pulock was more reliable in his own end, bit more physical (while not being highly physical overall), a solid puck distributor with good long distance passing ability and a monster shot.

EDIT: Found the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
Shea Weber's kind of offense (great first pass with a booming shot) [Pulock] vs Niedermayer's puck rushing and QB game [Rielly]?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Essentially, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermare View Post
Agree on the style...
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1300375