View Single Post
Old
05-24-2013, 11:18 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbhockey View Post
I really like what I see from this Morrissey kid. He's pretty dynamic and not afraid to take the body. I believe he's about 6-1, 185 but he'll fill out to about 200 or so. I think he is solid two-way defensemen with a little edge to him. I think Pulock is too one-dimensional. He's got a nasty shot but a huge wind up. He'll need to shorten that a bit if he wants to get shots off in time.
Morrissey's the guy I want the Flyers to draft too. I've given an extensive write up on him as to why he'd be a good fit for the Flyers.

As for Pulock, the reports of him being an average skater simply aren't true. He is an above average skater. He's not a burner, but he's not a bad skater by any stretch of the imagination. I'd say he's more along the lines of a Rob Blake-type of skater (Blake was no burner either, but he wasn't a slouch).

My issue with Pulock is that he's a recent convert to defense (having switched to the defense as a 15 year old) and that he's a late '94 birth year. If he were a '95 birth year for this draft, no problem. He's only going to get one chance to play at the WJC tournament and he's pretty close to reaching his physical capacity as to what he's going to end up being. Morrissey, on the other hand, just turned 18, so he's still got another year and change left of growing. Right now, Morrissey is 6'0.75" tall. You're looking at a guy who can possibly top out at around 6'2. He's also a solid 190 pounds right now and will probably top out at 210 - 215 pounds. The other thing about Morrissey is that he is an exceptional skater (he's probably the best skating defenseman in the draft) and he has a fantastic offensive game. On top of it, his shot, while a step below Pulock's, will get better when he adds more weight to his frame.

Personally, there's more upside to drafting Morrissey than there is with Pulock. Pulock pretty much is a what you see is what you get kind of player while Morrissey has the chance to become something above and beyond what he currently is.

Now, that's just my take on things. However, as much as this team needs a defenseman, my gut tells me that after reading Anthony San Filippo's article (http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=671200), the team is probably going to draft yet another forward with the first choice.