View Single Post
Old
05-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Now, that's just my take on things. However, as much as this team needs a defenseman, my gut tells me that after reading Anthony San Filippo's article (http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=671200), the team is probably going to draft yet another forward with the first choice.
It was an interesting read. It almost looks addressed to us.

One point of contention, ASF says:

"It was hard to argue the Flyers drafting James van Riemsdyk at No. 2 overall in 2007. There were decent defenseman drafted in some of the slots behind him Karl Alzner (Washington), Ryan McDonagh (New York Rangers), Kevin Shattenkirk (Colorado), but none worthy of the No. 2 pick. Van Riemsdyk was traded last year for Schenn who continues to grow as a top pair defenseman for the Flyers. There was a mistake in round two, as the Flyers chose defenseman Kevin Marshall two picks ahead of Montreal selecting P.K. Subban, but again, not every team is perfect, and frankly, every team had a shot at Subban in the first round and passed."

None worthy of the No. 2 pick? Shattenkirk was (looking backwards). Perhaps he means: "at the time, given the landscape and scouting reports." -- and missing on Kevin Marshall was a pretty big mistake. Every team makes mistakes, I know, but given what Marshall was supposed to be versus what he became was pretty horrible. The Sbisa pick wasn't the greatest, either. It got us Pronger, sure, and invariably if Pronger was healthy I doubt the defense would be such a major issue to begin with.