Old
05-24-2013, 03:14 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
No, it's not really true at all. It makes for a nice narrative, but it's not really true. Goalies get more shutouts when the face 20 shots or fewer than they do if they face 40 shots or more.

As far as the SV% stats, it's easier to have a slightly better sv % with a few higher shots. A goalie that gives up 2 goals on 30 shots vs a goalie who gives up 2 on 20 shots, chances are they both played pretty well, but the one with 30 shots will have the better numbers, regardless this has nothing to do with what I am talking about.

Shooting % will usually regress to the mean, shot quality is not the driving for behind goals, shots are. The reason the goal scorers are the top goal scorers is because they take way more shots.

As far as team stats go, the team that shoot more will score more, the top guys with top shooting % balance out the guys who aren't particularly good shooters. It's not always about goals it's about how those goals were created, by every metric, the habs were the real deal this year. They ran into some bad luck, a hot Anderson and had a struggling goalie of their own.

Looking at these numbers, the Leafs are good bet to miss the playoffs completely next year. Wait and see.

48/82 games, why the arbitrary cut off at a full season? You think 82 is significant sample too I suppose?
Take a look at this:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...me=shootingAll

and this:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...me=shootingAll

Now taking into account on the second link, removing any player who played less than 30 GP this season, the only people on the first link in the top 30 of Shot % (playing 30GP or more remember) are Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Tavares, and Patrick Kane.

So again explain to me your theory of shoot more shots, get more goals...

48 games is a larger sample size than 82 games. 82 is still a small sample, but it is bigger than 48. You used a 48-game sample size as evidence for your argument...