View Single Post
Old
05-24-2013, 04:15 PM
JacketsFanWest

vCash: 500
I'm a little higher on Erne than Sore Loser. I think part of the reason he's dropping is questions on whether his offensive game is as good as his numbers. There are probably more teams that see him as a potential 3rd liner than a top 6 forward. He's benefited from playing with Mikhail Grigorenko and he's not really at the same caliber. There are also quite a few weaker teams in the Q that make prospects look better than they are.

I watched some of the Chicoutimi/Quebec playoff series and Erne stood out. He does have skill, skating ability and plays physical (some times a little too physical). He might able to develop into a 2nd liner, but at #14 there's likely better players available with higher upside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
My question is why do some have Erne ranked so high? His stats are mediocre. If a player with his physical capabilities can't score more against boys, what makes us think he'll improve that given he doesn't have the creativity?
Erne had 72 points in 68 games in the regular season and was the leading scorer for the Remparts. He's scored some pretty goals, but things aren't going to come that easy in the NHL.

I think people expected him to take the next step this season after how well he did last season and he didn't quite live up to that. You could compare him to Boone Jenner a little. His offensive skill level was questioned in his draft year and he slide to the second round. While Jenner had a great season, there's still questions about how his game will translate to the NHL and that's coming from the OHL and not the QMJHL. There's going to be a bigger transition for Erne. It might have been better for Erne to have gone to Boston University since the Q isn't exactly known for developing power forwards.

Last edited by JacketsFanWest: 05-24-2013 at 04:24 PM.