View Single Post
05-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Oleg Petrov
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I disagree. If you bought a house for 125 000 in 1990, put 100 000 in it, the house would be worth easily triple or quadruple what you paid for it/invested in it today. And unless you were jumping up in standard of living, you'd be making a killing.
Here's the problem you are only using 20 years worth of data. 2000-2013 has seen the highest average appreciation in the history of the statistic. Average Homes are no longer affordable for the average income, thus meaning they are over-priced and will have to be corrected. Some cities will be hit harder then others (TOR, CGY, VAN).

As for Montreal, I feel that when prices began to increase here in 2000 they were already under-priced which has created a buffer, I see a more levelling off effect, but it depends on what you own. If you own a condo, forget it, that will depreciate. However, if you own a nice piece of property with a house or a duplex that will maintain it's value (but will not rise like many "expect" them to as based on the last 15 years).

Oleg Petrov is offline   Reply With Quote