View Single Post
Old
05-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Drafting: C
JVR, Couturier, Sbisa are the NHL regulars he drafted as GM. That said two of the three of these players were taken in the top ten so I don't look at his drafting as anything exceptional. His track record so far has not been good after the first round.

Undrafted free agents: B
Holmgren has a tendency to sign a load of college free agents, but they mostly waste away in the AHL. He hit big with Read.

Free agency: C
Holmgren's foray into free agency has been a mixed bag. Briere, Timonen, Hartnell, and Bryzgalov were his big signings. Briere was overpaid in dollars based on a career year he never repeated while and signed to too many years. He paid steeply for Briere's decline years. Bryzgalov has been a complete and utter disaster so far. Timonen and Hartnell were good signings.

Cap management: D
The Flyers are consistently the at the top of the league in spending, yet they rarely finish better than 5th in the East. He is not efficient with his money. He's had to dump salary on multiple occasions which has led to losing trades. He overpaid massively for Briere's declining production when they already had more than enough centers. He grossly overpaid for Bryzgalov when there were better options elsewhere. He overpaid for his 13th forward (Shelley). He has an aversion of the open market which leads him paying top dollar/overpaying for players.

Trades: C
Let's examine his noteworthy moves. I am not counting trading for rights because they aren't actual trades in my mind. It's also stupid to give up something for someone you can get in free agency without giving up an asset.

Forsberg for Upshall, Parent, 1st, and 3rd - This is about the proper value for a rental so I'd say it was a solid, but unspectacular trade.
Zhitnik for Coburn - Highway robbery.
Pitkanen, Sanderson, 3rd for Lupul and Smith - The value was fine, but it created a need for another puck mover.
Umberger + 4th for a 1st and a 3rd - Fair value for someone they couldn't afford to re-sign.
1st round pick for Steve Eminger and a 3rd - Horrible. Washington wasn't even going to re-sign Eminger.
Eminger, Downie, 4th round pick for Matt Carle and a 3rd - Worked out well for the Flyers.
Upshall, 2nd round pick for Dan Carcillo - He gave up the best player in the deal and included a pick with him. Poor asset management.
Lupul, Sbisa, two 1sts, and a conditional 3rd for Chris Pronger and Ryan Dingle - He gave up a lot of youth/futures for an aged top pairing defender. He only got one good, healthy year out of Pronger so overall this was a failure.
OKT + 5th rounder for Ville Leino - This ended up being a big time steal.
2nd round pick for Andrej Meszaros - Good deal.
Gagne for Matt Walker and 4th round pick - Terrible. He couldn't even dump salary right.
1st round pick + 3rd round pick for Kris Versteeg - poor deal considering he sold him for less months later.
Jeff Carter for Jakub Voracek, 1st round pick, 3rd round pick - they took a step back short term with this deal, but will likely be a big win long term.
Mike Richards and Rob Bordson for Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, 3rd round pick - Like above they took a step back short term, but it has the chance to be a big win if Schenn pans out.
2nd round pick + 3rd round pick for Grossmann - fair deal.
2nd round pick + Kalinski + 4th rounder for Kubina - overpayment for a depth defenseman that was done.
JVR for Luke Schenn - A first line forward is worth more than a defensive defender. See Grossmann deal.

By my count he has 7 deals that were fair value/steals and 7 deals that were poor value/created holes. There are two more deals (Richards, Carter) that saw the main roster take a step backwards, but have the potential to be long term wins as long as their players keep developing. I think he is about average at trading.

Overall grade: C

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote