View Single Post
Old
05-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
The rights to Timonen, Hartnell, and Bryzgalov were all acquired via trade technically, so they should be included in the trade section AND the FA section IMO. It should also be considered that we may have needed to overpay Briere because we were coming off the worst season in the franchise's history. Wouldn't be surprised if that added another $1m or so AAV to the deal. I also think that while Grossmann and Schenn don't exactly fit the system perfectly, they'll both be big pieces the next few seasons, and that a first-line forward may be > than an everyday defensive defenseman, it's not true out of a #1 d-man, and JvR isn't quite a first-line fwd yet IMO.

I find it difficult to grade Holmgren because I don't know how much power he actually has. I feel like the shelf life for a player in this organization is depressingly terrible, but that's mostly due to Snider and Clarke. Holmgren's made some stupid decisions, but he's made some great ones as well. He rebuilt the franchise in 1 offseason after its worst season ever, and for all of his stupid trades, Clarke had equally as many, and triple the head coach firings.
A) I don't consider trading for rights actual trades since those players are technically free agents

B) I think it's a waste of time to trade an asset for players he could sign on July 1 without giving up an asset.

C) I tend to think trading for a players rights tends to lead to overpaying because he has to pay them enough to forgo free agency.

In other words I look at it as a negative anyway. In regards to Briere, they were stacked at center so he was an unnecessary piece. They were just too impatient to wait for Richards and Carter to develop. I think it was a terrible deal that was a crux for many of their cap problems IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I don't know how you can chalk up the Pronger trade as a failure.

Also with the Gagne deal he had NTC and would only waive it to Tampa Bay.
I don't know how you could chalk up the Pronger trade as a success. One good year with Pronger is worth what exactly? Certainly not 3 years worth of first round picks.

Don't forget Homer went over the cap and had to force Gagne out. Gagne wasn't going to do him any favors and he had zero leverage in any trade regardless.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote