View Single Post
Old
05-26-2013, 01:12 AM
The_Chosen_One

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
About the D, I see Rielly as being a bit less one dimensional gambler than Gardiner. In a dream scenario, Bourque vs Coffey. I think Riellly would be able to play with more different types of partners where Gards would need someone to be backing up his attack constantly. So Rielly could be effective with a Schenn type, a Gunnar type, or even a Franson type. They would be the attacking D in the top 2 pairings though, so the shutdown guy would a more conservative and much cheaper option than Dion. You just don't need that much attack in your top four, and the point generators, except for Suter, tend to be the most expensive defensemen in the league. It is a ridiculous luxury to carry four 40+ pt D in a cap environment, and with the emergence of Gardiner and Rielly coming shortly, that's where they will be.

I don't see Phaneuf as that great defensively, or at least I think they could get similar defense in a much cheaper package, and the other PMD they have and are developing make that doable. I am not suggesting he is dealt right away, but that he will be if Gards and Rielly become offensive producers.

I agree Gunnar is not the ideal fit for Dion. Not sure why because he has skills and doesn't do things that would put pressure on his partner, but he doesn't seem to fit with Dion. Perhaps Dion needs a pairing mate that hits a lot more, so he doesn't feel he has to. He seems to take himself out of the play too much backing up less physical partners.
I would move Phaneuf, but just not yet. I think signing him for 4-5 years, and then trading him once Gardiner and Rielly break out.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote