View Single Post
Old
05-26-2013, 03:00 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
I don't even think the Grabovski contract has anything to do with it (other than that Bozak's agent may use Grabo and his contract as a reference point).

The way I see it, there are only two ways Bozak re-signs here: 1) he decides he wants to stay with this team more than he wants a big payday; 2) Nonis sees him as a legit top 6 centre and intends to move Grabovski.

Doesn't sound like either of those scenarios are going to play out, so it looks like Bozak is done in Toronto. Can't really blame either side.
Yes since Grabo's deal was based on his performance the three years before, which was clearly better than Bozak, and with vastly inferior linemates, and in a higher cap envirnment. However, of the 50 point top 6 forwards out there, are there any recent deals for under $4 million? I don't think so, so this is going to be his baseline. The club will say yes, but he was the gooseberry with the real talent doing driving the scoring, and his agent will respond with pointing out the PK, the FO, all the backchecking he must be doing since he ins't handling the puck etc.

An arbitrator would have to award him over $4 million because they look at all that, and not whether he actually performs the key element of being a #1 C. The market, not so much, and the scoring histories of the other FA centers are going to push his opportunities down. My guess is, around $3.75 million if he moves, and closer to $3 million if he stays. There are a dozen teams he could end up at, but none where he would be a #1.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote