View Single Post
Old
05-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Fataldogg

vCash: 500
I'd let him walk. He is 30 years old, had an underwhelming season, and has had his production decline for three consecutive seasons. He has also recently been injury prone.

And he won't come at a cheap price tag. Frankly, I'm done with signing underachieving players past their prime who come at a healthy price tag.

He's going to fetch well over $3 million, probably closer to $5 million, and because of that, and the other reasons I mentioned, I'd stay well clear of Clowe.

Unless we're resigning an electric UFA or retaining a top RFA, I want to stay away from the free agency market.

I know people will say that the NYR have plenty of cap space, but McDonagh, Hagelin, and Stepan are all due for a nice raise (I know they're RFA but I can't picture McDonagh coming in at any less than $4 million - he will get the kind of raise Callahan and Dubinsky got from RFA, same thing for Stepan, and I doubt Hagelin gets any less than $2 million). Then you have to factor in Lundqvist comes off the books in 13-14 and even with a home discount will come in at a decent cap hit if he decides to resign. And if you sign Clowe for $4-5 million for multiple years, it will further handicap re-signing Lundqvist, Girardi, Del Zotto, etc, in 13-14 if Sather does indeed decide to resign those players.

Last edited by Fataldogg: 05-27-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote