Thread: Komi (merged)
View Single Post
Old
10-05-2006, 04:13 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Komisarek breakout season looks like...

I'm just wondering what some other habs fans around here think Komisarek's upside looks like...

Like the rest of you, I've been eagerly waiting for him to show some of the stuff that made him top 10 worthy in the 2001 draft. There have been flashes here and there, the odd shift or even game where he just looks like a light's-out shut down Dman, but then there are nights where he still looks lost and out of place, just relying on playing physical to get by.

Personally, I feel strongly that he's on the brink. The flashes tell me that he has it in him to be a premier top 2 dman. It's seems clear that defensive dmen take a little longer to settle in than offensive dmen. The positional play, and knowing when and how to use your body to break down the other teams offensive stars is a skill that takes experience at the elite level, period. ( i suppose phaneuf somewhat disproved that, but if he keeps it up, he'll go down as one of the best dmen to ever play the game)

Point is, I think that this season or next, Komi will emerge as a Robyn Regehr type player. Not a big offensive force, but so dependable, intimidating and effective that he gets mentioned among the leagues best.

If you look at it, Regher (drafted in 1998), only really established himself in his 3rd full season (2002-03) which was 6 years after being drafted (and a season where he only scored 12 points).
Last year was Komi's 1st full season, his stat line looks a lot like Regehrs fist full season (and we all know Komi was hugely impacted by the illness and eventual death of his mother)
Komi: 2005-06 Montreal Canadiens NHL 71 2 4 6 116
Regher: 2000-01 Calgary Flames NHL 71 1 3 4 70

Both guys are big bodied, physical dmen, that skate well and hit hard. I suppose the statistical comparisons mean very little, nevertheless, I've got a gut feeling on this one...

What do you guys think? (try to use player comparisons if possible)

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote