Old
05-28-2013, 06:33 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
There's no rules preventing RFA's from leaving to another league. As long as his deal is up he's free game regardless if he's a RFA or UFA.

Ryan O'Reilly was a RFA and signed with a KHL team this past summer.
Wasn't that because of the lockout though? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it seems like there would be some sort of restriction on bolting to another league. I feel like we would see a lot more guys, particularly Russians, going to play in the KHL if they didn't get a big contract when they are RFAs, or at least we would see a lot more threats being made in order to up the offer from the NHL team.

Think about it: Player A is a former ROY and has been excellent for his first contract. Now he is an RFA and is getting a slight increase in pay. If another NHL team makes him an offer, he can force the hand of his team or take the money and run. But if he gets an offer to play in the KHL for a ton more money, he can bolt and the original team is left with nothing. So now the NHL team has to match the KHL offer lose their young star without being compensated. I find it hard to believe the NHL owners would not include something in the CBA about this. It could wind up screwing a franchise pretty badly. I'm not sure how they could regulate it, but you have to think it was at least addressed somewhere in the CBA.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote