View Single Post
Old
05-28-2013, 11:39 AM
thomast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
I'd encourage y'all to listen to te Ville Neimenan interview with Calgary Roger Sportsnet..

Highlights

- Barkov speaks no english
-Incredibly shy ( this worries me- Will he buckle under the pressure of the NHL experience as a barely 18 year old rookie that will have some serious expectations placed on his shoulders)
- Limited physical game- Ville said physical play/checking is non-existant in SM Liiga and said it will take alot of adjustment for Barkov to get used to playing NA hockey)
- Based on this, I now hope we take Drouin.
He says that it is in european hockey. FEL is most physical european league. He didn't buckle at the FEL playoffs as 17 year old. Was series MVP before the injury, led the scoring and stepped up when it mattered the most. Scored GWG in 2012 WJC QF as 16 year old and assisted first goal in SF. He was 3rd line shutdown C at time and looked pretty good in small rink.

Makes everyone around him better. Ville Nieminen had 4 points in 5 playoffs games before Barkov got injured after that he had 11games with 2 points playing without Barkov. His other linemate had 4 points in 5 games before Barkov got injured. After that he had 3 points in 10 games.

He basically turned grinders to scorers and was engine of their game. That team was 2nd best team in FEL this year.

Ville Nieminen talked about european hockey not only FEL. FEL is most physical european league by fair margin. And it's not physical if we compare it to NHL. All draft prospects have to adjust. Prospects from CHL have to adjust playing against experienced, less mistake prone, stronger and more solid grown up defensemen. Fight against them at boards. Barkov has already done that for 2 years and this year he just dominated board game. Ville Nieminen stated that physicality won't be problem for Barkov because he is so big and skilled kid(6'3-6'4, 225lbs) biggest adjustment is 82 game schedule and speed, hitting and intensity in those games. It's the same case for all european prospects. Barkov is shy because he don't want to take credit from anything or shine alone. He is big team player and give the spotlight to other players. Barkov doesen't care about that. I would say that Jere Lehtinen shares the same personality. What pressure does Barkov have? Nashville is one of the quiet place to play from media. Barkov has already been carrying his FEL team on his young shoulders. When his team struggled at the beginning of the season Barkov didn't and it boosted everyone to work harder because they got to watch how hard he worked to have success. He led by example and the team had success after it.

Nieminen said that if Barkov was more selfish he could be the #1 pick. But he isn't. He stays humble and he is going to be always that shy guy who has ice packs on his bruises after every game because this guy is going to give all in every game for his team. I've seen him blocking shots when his team leads by multiple goals in the end of game. He is a guy who signs autographs till every fan has gotten one and chats to fans like any other people. You guys are getting 1# calibre of talent in most of the drafts in Barkov at #4 if you guys draft him. Right year to have bad year.