View Single Post
Old
01-04-2004, 09:55 PM
teme

vCash: 500
Some comments based on WJC:

- Nothing against Malkin, but only reason I might take him ahead of Olesz is if I was worried about the concussion(s?) and I still would take Olesz. He's going to score big time, unbeliavable balance and hands, and he is clever too.

- Tukonen's strength is not a problem, talent wise he is great. The problem I have with him is decision making, he needs to do think and act faster. I'm somewhat concerned about lack of production against tougher competition too.

- Ovechkin is great and a lock to go first, but I have some doubts on whether he'll live up to the hype. Comparions to Owen Nolan are apt, and like Nolan his hockey sense may not be elite level. Truely great players (Lemieux, Gretzky, Stevens, McInnis, Forsberg...) have great vision to go with great skills and some like Numminen play great despite average ability simply because they are so smart. Shear talent only gets you so far, but then again Ovechkin has a lot of it.

- Nokelainen should become a solid, physical winger. Nothing too fancy about him, but no big flaws either and he plays hard. On a normal draft year he would be a second rounder IMO, but the draft supposedly lacks depth so might go in first.